Monday, December 23, 2013

Diantha Goes the Primrose Way and Other Poems

Diantha Goes the Primrose Way and Other Poems

Harper & Brothers 1920 New York and London

A manifestation of 'The Rare New Poetry'. Critically praised poetry. A vivid little drama of a woman's soul, intense, convincing and realistic in the best sense, full of power and artistic self-restraint. The scenes are as vivid as lightning.

Two Trains Speeding Through the Night. 

Two trains rushing through the storm;
On one, the friend whose golden ring I wear
Goes from me, fortune-gathering in the West;
Toward me on the other
Speeds my lover.

Does the noise of elements conflicting
Disturb my husband's sleep?
Does any presage of his honor's loss
Pursue his mind throughout its dream?

Does the noise of elements conflicting
Disturb my lover's sleep?
Or, impatient, does he lie awake,
Waiting for me and the dawn?

I toss upon my warm, safe couch at home.
My soul in direst conflict
Utters smothered cries.
The wind shrieks; the rain beats
Against my window-pane.

Which wins, when love's so great, 1
And duty seems so small?

Two trains rushing through the storm.
How writhes my soul alone!



No comments:

Post a Comment